Monday, August 29, 2011


Slack Tide




I’d heard of high tide and low tide before, but on our Canada trip I learned a new term—“slack tide.” It’s a time of when the water is completely still, between low and high tide.  It lasts about 20 minutes between the high and low tides, each of which lasts 6 hours.  It’s much shorter than either of the others, but just as predictable.

When I viewed the bay during slack tide, the stillness of the water made it look as if nothing was happening. It was very peaceful. As the end of the 20 minutes drew near, I could see the water begin to stir once again, indicating a turn in the tide.

This pattern reminds me of the words of Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life, who says, “Life is a series of problems: Either you are in one now, you’re just coming out of one, or you’re getting ready to go into another one”. 

If the tides' waves can be compared to our struggles, then the “slack tide” of my life is an enjoyable time of rest. During this time, I thank God for the peace I enjoy. 

But it’s also the calm before the storm, when the tide begins to swirl and build until it reaches high tide. In this time, I ask Him to be with me to carry me through. 

How about you?  What’s you relationship with God like in the various stages of your life?

4 comments:

Cathy Baker said...

I'll have to think on this one, Ellen. Love the analogy. It seems your trip was profitable in many ways. Thank you for sharing!

The Crazy Cat Lady said...

A very good post, Ellen. Thank you for the reminder ~ we're in a Spiritual battle and oftentimes it's how we react to the issues/problems at hand that make things better or worse. If we place our confidence and trust in the Lord, it's much easier to handle the tides' waves and enjoy our slack tides more. :) Lovely blog, by the way!
Amanda

Ellen Andersen said...

Absolutely Amanda. God is always faithful. Keeping this in mind is hard, but essential for me to persevere in the tough times.

Deborah H Bateman said...

Ellen, thanks for sharing your post. I thought this was a good analogy of how life really is. No matter what stage of life you are in you can always depend on God to see you through!