Saturday, August 6, 2011

Walking in the Light

Psalm 27
God is my light and my salvation. Whom shall I fear?

My dog sleeps at the side of my bed, so when I woke up in the wee hours of the morning I was still half asleep. I stepped out of bed and bam!  I hit the floor, having fallen over Oscar. Fortunately, I wasn’t hurt too badly.  But had I turned on the light first, I’d have seen him and either stepped over or around Him, avoiding my collision with the floor.

Light shows us where we are and how to get where we’re headed.  It shows us if there’s anything in our way.  If there is, God will show us how to remove them, go over them, or travel around them.  He doesn’t expect us to do it alone.  He gives us resources to use, whether it’s the Bible, people he puts in our lives to instruct and admonish us, and others to encourage us to stay the course in following His plan in our lives. But we have to make a choice.  We can either do as He tells us and eventually reach our goal.  Or we can choose to go our own way.

If we ignore His leading, we walk down a dark path. Just as I fell over Oscar, we’ll fall spiritually too and reap the consequences.  If, however, we listen to Him and heed his direction, He will protect us from harm. 

Even if trouble and temptation comes along the way, He’ll be there with us and will gives us wisdom as to how to deal with it and avoid succumbing to temptation no matter how inviting it seems. 

He promises to never allow in our lives a temptation too strong for us to overcome. (I Cor. 10:13). 

3 comments:

Celeste Vaughan said...

When I was in my 7 years of depression, seizures...hell...I could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. What I didn't realize at the time was that Jesus was the light at the end of the tunnel! He is the only light we can follow, and even then we stumble sometimes. But if we keep our eyes on him, he will always be there to pick us back up and get us going again.

Cathy Baker said...

Very enlightening, Ellen! Thanks for sharing these great insights...

Ellen Andersen said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Cathy. Celeste, thanks for sharing your very personal experience with us all. God is good.